Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Centurion

Oh man, beer is so good. The nectar of the gods, as far as I'm concerned. Although an acquired taste, it is possibly the greatest beverage ever created. How many different kinds of beer are there? Hundreds! There are ales, and lagers of all different tastes, and strengths! You're kind of worried you might pack on the pounds? Try a light beer. In a drinking competition? You go for a darker beer. In fact, after water and tea, beer is the most popular beverage on the planet.

I feel very strongly about beer, as do many people. But after drinking beer for many years, last year I began to grow tired of it. Not the beer itself, but the method of drinking it. I grew tired of pounding back pint after pint, of funnelling bottle after bottle, shot gunning can after can. I needed something more. And then my friend Paul told me of a new drinking game. Centurion.

The definitions of Centurion on Urbandictionary.com are as follows;

1. Centurion;
Sinking 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes. Without chundering or missing one.

2. Centurion;
100 shots. 100 minutes. Can be done with any alcoholic beverage not just beer. 1 person times on a watch and the participants must take another shot the moment a minute has passed. It's especially difficult to reach 100.

So I, and my friends Ryan and Cullen decide to take a trip out my cabin at Wabamun lake to have a go at drinking 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes.

It starts out pretty well, we crank the tunage, pour out the beerage, and do some drinkage.

10 Shots in:

I'm feeling great! This is the best idea ever created! 100 shots will be peach and cake!

20 Shots in:

I start to feel the beer sloshing around inside my stomach, but otherwise I am doing great.

30 Shots in:

I turn the music louder and begin to triumphantly march around the cabin, proclaiming that "I am Centurion!"

40 Shots in:

I'm really starting to feel the effects of the beer, so to shake out the cobwebs, I start to dance with great intensity.

50 Shots in:

I am now drunk. Dancing and marching is becoming difficult. Cullen has already stopped. I tell him he is not a man.

60 Shots in:

I am now very drunk, and the beer sloshing in my stomach has now got me feeling under the weather. I bet Ryan I will beat him.

65 Shots in:

I am absolutely trashed, wrestling with Ryan in between shots.

68 Shots:

Ryan pushes me over a couch and feeds me a fist to the stomach.

69 Shots:

Dancing, marching, wrestling, and being hit take their toll on me. I nearly break the door off the hinges as I run outside. 69 shots of beer come out the way they came in, as the neighbours gardener watches and cheers. Ryan announces he is the winner, and true Centurion.

I haven't attempted to reach 100 again, but I am starting to get a little bored of pounding, funnelling and shot gunning again, so maybe I'll give it a shot after third semester ends.

No comments: